No one is an island.
“Recognize that every interaction you have is an opportunity to make a positive impact on others.”-Shep Hyken
Do you personally know all your friends on facebook? In a world filled with technology, it is always easy to find social interaction through social media. However, as fast as you can make them, they can also go away like the wind. The problem lies in the lack of physical interaction. Social media allows people to make instant connections but at the same time can also be considered shallow ones as well.
Social interaction is an essential factor affecting the physical and mental well being of an individual. It includes a complex range of emotions and connections with other beings.
The psychology of having intrinsic value as a being is vital for staying positive in life. On the other hand, studies show that people who don’t have a support system tends to accumulate stress and can lead to biological problems. These diseases include cardiovascular and psychological issues, like high blood pressure and depression.
Another research in 2012 found that there is a positive connection between social interaction and well being especially among older adults.
Benefits of social interaction on your health:
- It prevents loneliness and promote emotional and mental support for the people.
- It provides an outlet for releasing and solving problems together.
- It increases the positiveness in an individual’s mentality.
- It decreases the risk for cardiovascular diseases such as high blood pressure and diabetes.
- It decreases the risk for psychological diseases like depression and anxiety.
- It decreases the overall mortality rate.